Subject: Re: Lighting for Architectural
From: Bryant Reif <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:41:11 -0800

At 09:16 PM 1/29/96 -0800, you wrote:
>You wrote: 
>>
>>	I am doing an experiments with LW and I have found that to get 
>>any good results lighting realistically you have to actually model 
>"the 
>>other side" of your objects.  I mean the interior so that the light 
>>doesn't travel straight through. (I've just been putting some cubes 
>etc.) 
>>Now from what I understand shouldn't turning on double-sided inLayout 
>do 
>>the same thing, or do you need to do this when building in Modeler?
>
>If your objects have proper geometry (that is, closed solid, no 
>nonplanars, duplicate polys, etc.) you shouldn't even have to mess with 
>this. We're building and lighting virtual sets all the time and the 
>only hard and fast rule on lighting is to use falloff on all your 
>lights. Never use distant lights (although this rule can be broken if 
>you know how..), throw ambient out the window, and start with a clean 
>black set. We use combinations of raytrace and nonraytrace lights to 
>set the mood we're looking for.
>
>Get a good book on TV/film lighting, it'll really help. Lighting in LW 
>follows essentially the same rules. (Except you don't have to carry 
>those huge moles around and worry about throwing a breaker..)
>
>AC

These are very good tips.  LW can produce great diffused lighting if you use
enough lights in the manner suggested above.  radiosity-like rendered images
at a fraction of the cost, render-time and money wise.

|  Bryant Reif, 3D/Graphics/Telecom       M            Home: (517) 332-1236  |
|  E-mail: [email-masked]           S          Work: (517) 432-2191  |
|  WWW: http://www.aiesec.org/~bryant         U         Fax: (517) 432-2529  |